Labels

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Crispy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


For me, oatmeal raisin cookies conjure up memories of my grandmother. She used to make them for us when we were kids, which is probably why I like them so much to this day. I wish I had her recipe but since I don't, I decided awhile back to make my own version.

These are very crispy cookies rather than being soft and chewy. I tend to prefer a crisp cookie so these are really what I like - and they are also very "buttery" (if that's a word!).  With apologies in advance to my grandmother, I actually think they're the best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever had.

Try them yourself and let me know what you think!

Ingredients (makes about 4 dozen cookies)

  • 3/4 lb (3 sticks) salted butter
  • 1 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark brown will work - I personally prefer dark)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins (you can also use dried cranberries a.k.a. craisins - I like both, but I used craisins for this batch)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a mixer, cream the butter until fluffy
    Cream the butter - and yes, my mixer has flames
  3. Add both the sugar and brown sugar and cream together until light and fluffy
    Sugar and brown sugar added to the butter
  4. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
    Cream both the sugars and the butter
  5. In a bowl, stir together the oats, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
    Stir the oats, flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together
  6. Slowly add the oat mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until combined

  7. Add raisins and mix just until combined
    For this batch, I used dried cranberries (craisins) instead of raisins - either work fine!
  8. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving at least 2-inches between cookies*




  9. Bake until browned and crispy around the edges, about 8 to 10 minutes

  10. Let cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container

  11. Enjoy!

*NOTE: If you want a crispier cookie, press them down a bit with your fingers or the back of a spoon when you place them on the baking sheet - if you want them a bit chewier then don't press them down (they will be crispy cookies either way, it's just a matter of HOW crispy you want them).

I frequently only make a dozen or two at a time and put the rest of the dough in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will last for quite awhile this way (I've kept it for over a month) and then make a dozen at a time whenever I want them until the dough is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment