In this recipe, I'm going to give you directions for making a simple marinara out of tomato sauce. However, you can just as easily use a canned spaghetti sauce. Jarred sauce will definitely save you time though making it from scratch is pretty simple as well.
The possibilities for these roll-ups are truly endless. If you prefer pepperoni, throw some in. Hamburger along with mushrooms and green peppers? Why not?
You can even make these vegetarian if you'd like. Simply leave out the meat and use the cheese and whatever vegetables you'd like. Throw in some of the frozen vegetable crumbles (meat substitute), and if you add Penzey's Italian Sausage seasoning, it will taste just like Italian sausage. I know this from experience.
Just substitute whatever you'd like for the insides and it will be excellent.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or spicy, your choice)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups your favorite spaghetti sauce
*Cook's note: I used the eight inch tortillas and only had eight of them in the package. I could have easily made 10-12 of these with the rest of the ingredients, then cut them in half to serve. If you choose to use the smaller size tortillas it will make quite a few more. Likewise, if you use the larger tortillas it will make less but you can cut them up into smaller pieces to serve.
- Preheat the oven 350° F.
- Cook the Italian sausage until it's well browned. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add olive oil. Add garlic and cook until garlic is soft (about 30 seconds to one minute). Remove from heat and add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes (if using), oregano, basil and salt. Mix well to completely combine. THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL. IF YOU ARE USING PREMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE, SKIP THIS STEP.
- Take a tortilla and using a brush, paint one edge of the tortilla with the egg wash. This will help the tortilla stick together when you roll it up.
- Place about two tablespoons of the Italian sausage on the lower edge of the tortilla (opposite side of where you put the egg wash).
- Put two to three tablespoons of mozzarella cheese next to the sausage.
- Pour approximately two tablespoons of sauce on top of the cheese.
- Roll the tortilla up into what looks like a small log. The area where you used the egg wash will help it stick together.
- Brush the top with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Line them all up on a lined backing sheet and bake for around 20 - 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Dip in marinara sauce and enjoy!