Labels

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto



I think I may have mentioned before that I led a fairly sheltered "food life" until ten or so years ago. I had never heard of pesto, sun-dried or otherwise. When I discovered it I kind of went crazy with it, making several different kinds (and loving all of them). The two that have become my favorites are just the basic pesto made with basil and this one made with sun-dried tomatoes. If you've never had it you're in for a treat. There are many different ways to use it, including pasta, but my all time favorite is as a spread on a sandwich - particularly a panini made with chicken, a wine-reduction sauce, grilled onions, havarti cheese and baby spinach all on a grilled and pressed ciabatta roll. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Give it a try - you'll be glad you did!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (minus the oil they were packed in)
  • 4 tbsp fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 4 tbsp toasted pine nuts (pignolis)
  • 4 tbsp grated parmigiano reggiano (or parmesan)
  • 6 tbsp oil from sun dried tomatoes (or olive oil)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and run until the mixture resembles a coarse paste. You may need to adjust the amount of olive oil to suit your preferences.
  2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month - but you'll probably use it up long before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment