Labels

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Parmesan Butternut Squash Pasta

Sometimes I simply get an idea in my head and want to try it. It's not always a GOOD idea, but I tend to try it nevertheless.
Finished pasta, ready to eat!

Thankfully, this time it WAS a good idea.

I'd been wanting SOMETHING with butternut squash in it but simply didn't feel like the "normal" things I make (soup, ravioli, etc).

That's when this idea popped into my head. Maybe it's something other folks make, maybe not. I certainly haven't heard of it before but I felt it turned out well. My sixteen year old son (who claims he doesn't even like butternut squash) loved it, and that's always a good sign. He told me that it tasted like the best macaroni and cheese he'd ever had. I'm not certain that's what I wanted to hear, but he's sixteen - I'll take it.

If you try it, please feel free to leave me comments, good or bad!

Ingredients 

Cubed butternut squash, tossed with olive oil ready for roasting

  • 1 pound uncooked pasta (I used elbow macaroni because that's what I had on hand but I would have preferred farfalle, fusilli, or rotini just to make it more interesting)
  • 2 tbsp butter 
  • 2 tbsp flour 
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 2 cups butternut squash puree*
  • 1 cup parmesan cheese 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper 


*You can use canned butternut squash
Roasted cubes, ready to be pureed
puree. If you can't find it, feel free to substitute canned pumpkin as it has a very similar flavor.
It's also VERY simple to make it at home.

  1. Peel a butternut squash, cut in half, and discard the pulp and seeds. 
  2. Cut into cubes.
  3. Toss cubes with a small amount of olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven, tossing occasionally. 
  4. Let cool and put in a blender or food processor until smooth. (A potato masher also works well if you prefer.)  

That's it, you have butternut squash puree!

Directions 

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Strain.
  2. Time to make a roux! In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. 
  3. Whisk in flour until smooth (about a minute) 
    Pureed butternut squash - ready to add to the recipe!
  4. Slowly add milk while whisking and bring to a simmer.
  5. Simmer while stirring occasionally until the milk has thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. 
  6. Add butternut squash puree, cheese, salt, and pepper. 
  7. Stir and simmer until mixture is smooth and thick (three to five minutes).
  8. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and mix. 
  9. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Depending upon how long this sits before serving, just like in mac and cheese, you may have to add a bit of milk and stir to thin it a bit.
  11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment